Candle Care

Candle care and safety is of the utmost importance to us at Tipsy House. Never leave your candle burning unattended! If you burn your candle for more than 4 hours at a time, carbon will collect on the wick and it will begin to "mushroom." This can cause the wick to become unstable, the flame to get too large, your candle to smoke, and soot to be released into the air and around your candle container. 


If you burn a candle for a short amount of time, especially the first time, you will get a tunnelling effect where leftover wax accumulates on the sides of the container. 

Solution: Particularly for their first burn, candles are supposed to burn for at least one hour per inch of container diameter. Therefore, we would recommend that you should burn your candle for at least 3 hours (though not more than 4 at a time). Wax has a memory, so you need to burn a candle so the melted wax spreads all the way out to the edge of your container. That way, when you burn your candle the next time, it will remember to melt all the way out to the sides.


Do your candles have a big black ring around the sides of the candles, and do they smoke when you light them? If this is the case, you probably have been lighting your candles for a prolonged period of time and not trimming the wick. When you light a candle for too long a "mushroom" effect is created and develops a carbon build-up. This is the result of the candle consuming more wax than it can burn. Lighting a "mushroom" can lead a wick to crackle and pop and release soot into the air and onto your candle container. 

Solution: Always trim your wicks to 1/4 inch before lighting, and never burn for more than 4 hours, otherwise carbon will start to accumulate again. Try buying a wick trimmer to do the job right. We will be releasing our own wick trimmers soon!


Blowing out candles can cause wax to spray onto your face and smoke to fill the room. Doing so can also bury the wick in the wax making it hard for you to light your candle the next time. 

Solution: Use the tip of a screwdriver to dip the wick in the wax to extinguish. Then use it to straighten the wick out for the next burn. Alternatively, use a snuffer.

Candle Warning Labels

  • Never leave a burning candle unattended.
  • Burn candles out of reach of children and pets.
  • Always leave at least 10cm between burning candles 
  • Do not burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire. 
  • Only burn this candle on a level, heat resistant surface 

Never burn the candle for more than 4 hours at a time. Do not allow the flame to touch the glass. On the first burn, ensure the wick is upright and burn for 3 hours to ensure an even melt pool. Always trim the wick to 5mm before lighting to avoid smoking and damage to the glass. 

The glass may become hot when the candle is lit.